Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Fear, Change and Bosu Balls


I like things loud and fast. I have amazing memories of driving with someone I shouldn’t have been with through a road tunnel way too fast, with the windows down and the stereo way too loud, singing at the top of my lungs to something really naff and feeling that primal, guttural, raw throb of a V8 engine. What can I say? I have Venus in Aries... The adrenalin rush that I get from speed or a theme show ride hurtling you through space and time just can’t be bottled.

But the other day my Trainer got me to stand on a Bosu Ball. And it scared me. You see, instability terrifies me. Actually, what I am really frightened of is not having control or, even worse, losing control. I trust others more than I trust myself.

On first glance, the Bosu looks harmless enough... an exercise ball which has had the top third cut off & the open end covered in hard black rubber provides a platform for the unsuspecting to stand and attempt to precariously balance. Once on and balanced (ie, not gripping the arms of your trainer for dear life), you can perform gravity defying tasks like... balancing or, for the really advanced, squats. When a gorgeous little gym body falls off a Bosu Ball (no, I have never seen it happen either) people come to help. When someone like me does, people just snigger.

My Trainer’s end goal was have me confront my fears and in doing so strengthen my core- it is these muscles that keep us upright and provide stability on uneven or rocky surfaces. So it is with change. So many of us are frightened by it, but in most cases, confronting that which scares us, gives us more core strength to deal with future challenges- facing the fears and challenging them make us stronger inside.

The Fixed Signs (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius) tend to have the biggest fear around change, whereas the Cardinal Signs (Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn) are usually the ones to initiate the change cycle. Mutable signs (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces) have the least difficulty in changing course. But that isn’t to say that the cardinal and mutable signs don’t fear change- they do. In many cases, it is fear which motivates the cardinals to initiate the change in the first place and fear which convinces the mutables to follow.

Not all change is good- it isn’t. In many circumstances, the fixed signs are right to stand firm against the havoc their cardinal colleagues are proposing and their mutable workmates are colluding in. But in many other cases, as it was with my Bosu Ball, overcoming the fear is necessary to become stronger in your core- although personally, I prefer Bellydancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment